Diabetes is an ever growing problem in the world especially in our country where we have both malnutrition as well as obesity. Today every 12th person in our country is obese and diabetic. Recent studies highlight that by 2030 every 6th person will be diabetic. Considering the health infrastructure of our country it will not be surprising that we lag behind in terms of complications arising out of diabetes- the aspect of co-morbidity associated with the disease. Hence it is now a social as well as a moral responsibility of every citizen of this country to acquire correct and appropriate knowledge about diabetes and opt for self -management with the help of a health care provider and propagate same for the betterment of the society. But what can you do to improve diabetic control and avoid complications associated with the silent killer:
- Diet: Diet forms the most important part of diabetes management. It requires consistent timing, having breakfast, small meals at a time, lots of fiber in the diet, avoidance of refined carbohydrates.
- Fruits and Salads: This is another factor in controlling blood glucose. Juices should be avoided. Except few fruits most of the fruits can be taken which are rich in fiber, micronutrients and antioxidants which help in detoxifying your body. Salads should be an integral part of your meal. Fruits are rich in fiber and have minimal calories. Fruit intake also helps in slowing down your digestion there by reducing postprandial blood glucose.
- Exercise: Human body has been made to do labour intensive job,however, as development has taken place our job has become more of desk based where movement has decreased. So to make ourselves fit it becomes very important for us to exercise regularly atleast 30 minutes per day with minimum 5 days per week along with at least 3 days of resistive exercise.
- De-stress Technique: De-stressing your self is very important as this helps in detoxifying oneself. Make a connect with yourself and ensure that you participate actively in doing your daily chores more efficiently. There is no fixed technique for de-stressing, it differs from individual to individual. Some may like music and some may de-stress themselves by playing with kids. You need to find it out for yourself and do it on a regular basis.
- Yoga and Meditation: Lastly yoga and meditation does help in controlling blood glucose by de-stressing oneself and also by making one’s muscles more healthy and active.
Remember the choices that you make today ensure your healthy tomorrow. Be wise and informed. Choose the right lifestyle to have a better tomorrow. If you want to have more guidance, consult a diabetologist or an endocrinologist .