Breastfeeding is an important step for mothers. It is essential to exclusively breastfeed your baby for the first six months since birth. This is important to ensure that the immunity levels, brain and IQ development of the baby is enhanced with the breast milk. However, breastfeeding can have its own challenges and you may have to use some tips to align your baby for breastfeeding.
The best way to Breastfeed:
While breastfeeding, if the baby turns away his head, stroke his face gently on the side closer to you. This will make the baby face towards the nipple. Rock him gently towards the nipple and then away from it to make him open his mouth. When the mouth of the baby is wide open, move him gently towards the breast. Ensure that the bottom lip&tongue of the baby make contact with the breast first. Once he starts to latch on, hold him against the breast firmly. The baby shall squeeze the portion behind the nipples with his mouth to suck properly. Once the baby is done nursing with the first breast put your finger in its mouth to release its sucking and provide another breast. You shall breastfeed for 10 – 15 minutes for every breast 8 – 12 times in every 24 hours.
Tips for Breastfeeding:
- Try offering your breast to your baby as soon as possible post giving birth, even if possible in delivery room
- Restrict the visitors that you may have immediately post giving birth so that there is adequate time for you to nurse and bond with the baby
- Few newborns may require to be feed for around up 45 minutes so do breast feed your baby as long as needed.
- Do not try to restrict the frequency or time of breastfeeding
- Do not breast-feed while the baby is crying. Calm down the baby and then start breastfeeding
- Apply balm or ointment to your nipples if they are cracked or sore. The ointment should specifically for breastfeeding mothers and should be nontoxic.
- If you still smoke, quit it long before starting breastfeeding because it can worsen the taste of your milk for the baby
- Avoid underwire bras when breastfeeding because these may cause infection.
Breastfeeding is very important for the health of the baby. It is vital for the process of bonding too. In case you have problems breastfeeding there are support groups and nurses to help you out and work to resolve your problem and ensure that you don’t miss this wonderful experience of being a mother.