Diabetes is a metabolic disease in which the body’s inability to produce any or enough insulin causes elevated levels of glucose in the blood. According to a study, China, India and USA are among the top three countries with a highest number of diabetic population.
When you have diabetes, your body either doesn’t make enough insulin or can’t use its own insulin as well as it should. This causes sugars to build up in your blood. Diabetes can cause serious health complications including heart disease, blindness, kidney failure, and lower-extremity amputations, even death.
Foods play an important role in diabetes .Diabetes is the condition in which the body does not properly process food for use as energy. If you have diabetes, it is important to eat healthy foods. Dietary patterns need to be changed, with more of fibre and protein and less of sugar and starches in the diet.
If you have Diabetes then the following 10 foods should be avoided by you:
- White Rice– White rice contains low-quality carbohydrates and lacks fibers. White rice is easily digested which in turn shoots up the blood glucose level. Study shows that those who are consuming white rice on a daily basis are at 27% higher risk of developing diabetes compared to those who consume whole grain products. Try to eat whole grains such as barley, oatmeal, high fiber cereals. In case if you can’t stay away from rice then replace white rice with brown rice that is much more healthy food.
- Refined Carbohydrates- One of the most dangerous foods for diabetics is refined starch. Refined starch is found in any food that is made from white flour such as white bread, white flour pasta, etc. These refined carbohydrates have a high glycemic index that causes a rapid rise in blood sugar levels, which is extremely harmful to diabetic patients. It is best to opt for whole grains and barn cereals like oatmeal that are rich in fiber. These complex carbohydrates take longer to be digested and lead to gradual, steady rise in blood sugar.
- Whole Milk- Whole Milk or Full-fat dairy products are enriched with saturated fats that increase insulin resistance and worsen the conditions for diabetic patients. The saturated fats also raise the level of harmful LDL ‘bad’ cholesterol in the blood and that can increase the risk of heart diseases. Try to avoid full-fat yogurt, cream cheese, ice creams, butter etc.
- Starchy Vegetables- If you have diabetes and on regular basis you are consuming potatoes ,colocasium, jimikand then it can be extremely harmful for you. This is because the starch in these vegetables is made of long strings of glucose that breaks down rapidly in the intestine and absorbed in the blood stream leading to a sudden spike in blood glucose levels. Eat potatoes in mixed with leafy green vegetables that will help in slowing down its digestion.
- Red Meat – Pork, beef and lamb should be avoided by the diabetic patients as these are very harmful for them. These are enriched with unhealthy saturated fat that increases inflammation and raises the risk of heart disease. You can replace red meat with chicken, turkey, fish etc. to keep diabetes under control.
- Deep Fried Foods– Deep fried foods such as french fries and chicken nuggets should be avoided at any cost to control diabetes. These foods soak a lot of oil and these are fried in hydrogenated oils that are loaded with unhealthy trans-fats that increase the level of LDL ‘bad’ cholesterol in the blood and raise the risk of developing coronary artery diseases. These foods are made with starchy and carb rich ingredients that lead to rise in blood glucose level. Replace your foods with healthier snack options such as crackers, vegetable sticks, and flaxseed cookies.
- Artificial Sweeteners- Artificial sweeteners are very harmful for diabetic patients as sweeteners affects blood glucose levels and reducing insulin sensitivity. Try to stay away from artificial sweeteners and if you are planning for some desserts then made it of real sugar, but keep it in moderation.
- Fruit Juice Beverages –Fruit Juice Beverage is bad for diabetics because it can be high in sucrose and fructose and calories.
- Biscuits and Sausage Gravy – Maida biscuits and gravy is loaded with high calories, fat (particularly saturated fat), and sodium.
- Cashew Nut, Raisins, Dates-Another food to be avoided in diabetes is cashew nut raisins and dates because they contain high no of sugar and cashew nut contain Trans fat. Although these foods are enriched with fibers, vitamins and antioxidants but they can be a cause of sudden spike in blood glucose level that is extremely harmful for diabetic patients.