Staying healthy is very important at all ages and this feeling should not change as you step towards ageing!
Certain Tips to Help You Maintain Physical and Emotional Health at All Ages:
- Eating well as you age– As we get older relation of food may change along with our body. Metabolism dips as we age which can have an effect on our appetite, digestion and body weight! The key is to figure out how to adapt to your changing needs. It is now even more important to eat healthy diet to maintain your energy levels.
- Load up on high fibre fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Your digestive system slows down as your metabolism dips, so fiber is very important. Fiber helps your colon work better and avoids constipation. It reduces the risk of diabetes, heart disease and colon cancer. It also has shown results in lowering blood cholesterol levels. Recommendations- For men over 50yrs should get 30gms of fiber per day and women should get 21gms per day.
- Nutrients such as Beta carotene, vitamin, selenium and zinc are readily available- good sources are green leafy vegetables, pumpkin seeds, fresh fruits etc., while vitamin e is found in nuts and seeds. To name a few – almonds, figs, dates, flax seeds. These antioxidants help increase production of elastin and collagen, keeping your skin wrinkle free and firm.
- As we age our taste buds and appetite weakens but your nutritional needs are still there. So it is important for you to make an extra effort to make your meals palatable in case you have a reduced intake of meals per day.
- Stay well hydrated- drink water at regular intervals.
- Make your meals a social event- It’s always best to eat in another’s company than eating by self. It’s a great way to stay in touch with friends and your loved ones.
- Healthy ageing can be interpreted as continually re inventing yourself as you pass your land mark ages- 40, 50, and so on. One should discover something he or she enjoys, learning to adapt to various changes, staying physically and socially active, staying connected to your loved ones.
- Exercise- No matter how old you are or how unhealthy you have been in the past, caring for yourself has enormous benefits that will help you stay active, sharpen your memory, boost your immune system, improves sleep, gives your mental health a boost and fill you with energy. Exercising daily not only add years to your life but also ensure a quality good life.