If your weight is more than the recommended body weight according to your age, height and weight, you are likely to face more complications in pregnancy. But if you have already conceived, try to understand with your gynecologist, the measures (exercise and eating habits) to be taken to have a safe and healthy pregnancy.
When to plan my Gynae visit?
The best time to plan your first visit to your Gynecologist is during the 5th week when also your first dating ultrasound scan be performed. Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is also calculated to estimate how much weight gain would be ideal for you. Screening for pregnancy induced diabetes (gestational diabetes) along with urine sugar and albumin is also performed monthly for early detection of hypertension and diabetes.
Pregnancy and Weight Gain:
The best time to plan pregnancy is when you have a normal BMI. Your Pre pregnancy BMI will determine your weight gain in pregnancy.
Obesity issues associated with Pregnancy:
- If you are obese or overweight prior to conception, and you don’t follow a healthy lifestyle, you have a higher risk of a caesarean delivery, risk of prematurity, pregnancy induced hypertension and diabetes.
- It also becomes difficult for your doctor to estimate fetal size and position.
- Your discomfort in pregnancy would also be more than normal weight women (backache, varicose veins, swelling and heartburn).
- Even the risk of birth defects is slightly more in obese women.
How can I take care of the complications of pregnancy if I am overweight?
- Put an extra effort on your side if you have already conceived can also lead to a healthy outcome for mother and newborn.
- Keeping a calorie count and maintaining a food diary, taking adequate amount of fluids and fiber, making healthy choices, staying active, having adequate sleep and attending prenatal yoga classes can still lead you towards a healthy natural childbirth.
- So calculate your BMI and plan your preconception visit with your Doctor to ease your anxiety and have a smooth motherhood.