Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally. 1 in 6 deaths worldwide is due to cancer. Cancer is the second most common cause of death in India. The number of cancer cases is predicted to grow rapidly in the next few years.
Between 30%-50% of cancers are preventable. Prevention is the most cost-effective long-term strategy to control cancer. However we talk much more about finding a cure for cancer than preventing it. The best cancer doctors recommend focusing on cancer prevention.You cannot fully prevent cancer. But there are lifestyle changes that you can make to reduce your chances of getting cancer:
- Don’t use tobacco: Do not smoke. Smoking has been linked to lung, colorectal, breast, throat, cervical, bladder, and esophageal cancers. Around 90 percent of lung cancer is related to smoking. Non-smokers exposed to secondhand smoke are also at risk.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eat lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Limit processed foods and red meat. Limit alcohol consumption as it can increase your risk for liver, colorectal, and breast cancers.
- Be physically active: 30 minutes of physical activity a day can improve your overall health, reduce stress and boost the immune system. It can increase energy, control your weight and reduce the risk for cancer. Obesity has been linked to breast, lung, pancreatic and colorectal cancer.
- For mothers, breastfeed children: breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer for women. It has many benefits for mother and baby.
- Protect your skin from the sun: use sunscreen even on cloudy days. Wear loose fitting clothing that covers as much of your skins as possible. Stand in the shade when outdoors and wear a hat and sunglasses. Avoid midday sun.
- Avoid exposure to industrial toxins such as asbestos fibers, benzene, aromatic amines, and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
- Have regular medical exams: cancer doctors can conduct tests to detect cancer. If the cancer is found early then treatment will be more successful.
If you feel that you have any symptoms of cancer, find the best oncology doctors and book an appointment. Paras Hospital has a team of cancer specialists and surgeons who can diagnose your symptoms and begin your treatment if necessary.