Am I at an increased risk for getting corona virus while pregnant?
Covid 19 leads to a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person & pregnant women should be considered’at risk “population for the illness. While recent data does not show that pregnant woman are at increased risk of Contracting the novel corona virus but there is a higher risk of developing Severe illness. So if you have the flu like symptoms immediately contact a health care provider and get tested for covid-19.
If I have covid-19 during Pregnancy, Will it hurt my baby?
Preterm birth and other adverse infant outcomes have been reported in mothers who tested positive for Covid 19 during pregnancy. However, this information is based on limited data and it is not clear if these outcomes were related to the mother’s infection.
It is also unclear if Covid 19 can cross through placenta and infect an unborn child. In a recent study of infants born to mothers who had COVID 19 none of the infants tested positive for covid 19 according to ACOG. The virus also was not found in samples of amniotic fluid or breast milk.
How Can I Protect Myself from getting Covid 19 while Pregnant?
- Practice Social Distancing
- Avoid Close Contact With sick people
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Clean and disinfect high touch Objects and surfaces.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 Seconds
Can you continue your usual work during the Covid 19 Pandemic?
Pregnant Woman with non essential employment responsibilities should remain at home. Pregnant health Care worker should have limited exposure to confirmed or suspected Covid 19 patients.
Can you transmit Covid 19 through breast milk?
Breast Milk is the best source of nutrition for most infants. You should work with your doctor to make the personal decision of whether and how to start or continue breast feeding. If you have been diagnosed with Covid 19 , following precautions to be taken:-
- Wash your hand before touching your baby
- Wear a face mask, if possible while breast feeding
- Wash your hands before touching or expressing breast milk with breast pump, and make sure your pump is clean before and after each use.
If possible consider having someone who is not sick, feed your expressed milk to your baby.