Oral Rehydration Solution is an effective solution for adults. Oral rehydration therapy is a type of fluid replacement used to prevent and treat dehydration, especially that due to diarrhea. It involves drinking water with modest amounts of sugar and salts, specifically sodium and potassium. This solution is made using ingredients found in almost every household. It includes fluids at home like tea, soups, rice water and fruit juices to prevent dehydration and the use of Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS) solution to treat dehydration.
Benefits of Oral Rehydration Therapy in Diarrhoea:
- If you are suffering from diarrhea, continue to drink the Diarrhoea basically cures itself in three to four days with rehydration (drinking a lot of liquids). The real danger is the loss of liquid and nutrients from the child’s body, which can cause dehydration and malnutrition.
- The best treatment for diarrhea is to (1) drink lots of liquids and oral rehydration salts (ORS), properly mixed with clean water from a safe source, and (2) take zinc tablets or syrup for 10–14 days.
- Make up for the lost minerals by constantly sipping on electoral powder or a mixture of lemon, water, salt, and sugar, throughout the day.
- Clear soups, chicken broth, buttermilk, fruit juice are fine to keep you hydrated too. Ignore dairy products like milk, paneer, cheese etc.
- You can have the only yogurt as it has healthy bacteria that strengthen your get.
Rest is the best for patients suffering from Diarrhea:
Diarrhea should go away in a few days without treatment. Until you feel better, rest, drink enough fluids and watch what you eat. Drink clear liquids water, broth, or fruit juice during the day to stay hydrated. Try to get about 2-3 liters (8-12 cups) a day while you’re sick. You can sip them in small quantity between meals instead of while you eat. Your consultant doctor might recommend a sports drink to replace salt, potassium, and other electrolytes your body loses when you have diarrhea. If you also have nausea, sip the liquids slowly.