Prostate is an exocrine gland of the male reproductive system and exists directly under the bladder. An exocrine gland is one whose secretions end up outside the body e.g. prostate gland and sweat glands. There are thousands of tiny glands in the prostate that produce a fluid that forms part of the semen. This fluid also protects and nourishes the sperm. The epithelial cells in the prostate gland produce a protein called prostate-specific antigen (PSA). The PSA helps keep the semen in its liquid state. PSA level is an indicator of prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is mostly a very slow progression disease.
Foods that Help to Prevent Prostate Cancer:
• Tomato: – It is a good source of carotene, vitamin c and powerful antioxidant lycopene. Availability of lycopene is better in cooked form than a raw tomato. It helps to prevent prostate cancer as well as reduce tumor growth.
• Broccoli: – It is a dark green vegetable that contains phytochemicals like glucosinolates, phenolic and sulforaphane that selectively targets and kills cancer cell while leaving normal prostate cell healthy and unaffected. It is also rich in vitamin c, vitamins k and minerals (e.g. calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron, zinc, etc.) with antioxidants that increase the immune system.
• Soybeans: – It is a very popular and healthy food item. It contains high protein with phytoestrogens such as isoflavones and other bioactive molecules like phenolic acids, phytosterols, saponins and tannins. It has cancer fighting properties. It suppresses tumor growth in the prostate cancer cell. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) Research shows that soy reduces the PSA level.
• Fish: – The fish like Salmon, Herring, Meckerel, Sardines, Trout, etc are the best source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that helps to prevent the development and progression of prostate cancer. Regular intake of these fish reduces mortality rate as well as prevent from prostate cancer says American Journal of Clinical Nutrition researchers.
• Pomegranate: – It is a good source of riboflavin, vitamin c, iron, potassium and copper with the high content of phenols and antioxidants. Pomegranate juice and extract hinder the production of different prostate cancer cell and no any effects on the healthy cell.
• Wheat Grass: – It is the best source of chlorophyll, selenium, laetrile with multivitamins and antioxidants that build up the immune system and protect against cancer.
• Eat more fat from plants than from animals: – Many studies show that fat consumption from animal sources (e.g. ghee, butter, lard, meat, etc) is associated with prostate cancer risk.
• Increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables: – Fruits and vegetables are full of vitamins and minerals that are helpful to reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
If you are a 55 years old male, you should know that you suffer from the risk of developing a prostate issue. You are advised to get an annual PSA test. You should also consult a urologist and a nutrition specialist early in life if you have a family history of prostate cancer. Note that a family history of prostate cancer can increase your risk of developing the same by 3 times. Having a well-balanced life and good lifestyle practices can prevent you from developing prostate cancer.