Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does not make or release sufficient thyroid hormone. It is usually not due to primary deficiency of iodine, but results from atrophy of the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland releases many vital hormones that travel throughout the blood stream and reach the receptors that are found throughout the body. The clinical manifestations are more helpful in the diagnosis. A low level of T3 and T4 and high TSH is found in hypothyroidism. The usual complaints of hypothyroidism are tiredness, lethargy, constipation, depression and weight gain.
Foods to Avoid if you are detected with Hypothyroidism:
- Avoid Cruciferous Vegetables – Foods such as cabbage, cauliflower, turnip, broccoli, spinach, etc contain goitrogenic compounds that interfere with the production of thyroid hormone. Cooking reduces the effect of these compounds. But it is suggested to avoid these vegetables those who have hypothyroidism.
- Say no to soya – Soya products are the best source of phytoestrogen and goitrogenic compounds that interfere to use thyroid hormone. Excess consumption of soya products increases the risk of hypothyroidism.
- Be aware of gluten – Gluten rich foods such as wheat, barley, rye, etc may irritate the small intestine and hamper absorption of thyroid hormone. As per Ruth Frenchman, a Dietician and Nutritionist and a spoke person for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, excess intake of gluten (wheat protein) is harmful for hypothyroidism.
- Fatty Foods – It has been found that high intake of fatty foods disrupt the body’s ability to absorb thyroid hormone. It is recommended to cut all fried foods, excess intake of ghee, butter, mayonnaise, margarine, etc to maintain thyroid level.
- Keep a check on your sugar intake- Hypothyroidism slows down the body’s metabolism. It is suggested to reduce the sugar and sweets intake for hypothyroidism patient.
- Keep a check on caffeine intake – Caffeine has been found to block absorption of thyroid hormone replacement. Those who have hypothyroidism and taking medicine should wait at least 30 minutes to take coffee.
- Keep clear of alcoholic content – Alcohol intake reduces the ability of body to use thyroid hormone. It is better to avoid alcohol for hypothyroidism.
- Avoid food that interfere with your thyroid – Foods like ragi, red radish, pears, strawberry, canola oil, etc have also contained goitrogenic compounds. So, better to avoid these foods also.
- Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables – Plenty of fibre rich foods such as green vegetables, green leafy vegetables, fruits, salad, whole grain cereals, etc, Vitamin C rich foods (e.g. amla, tomatoes, lemon, citrus fruits, etc.), antioxidant rich foods, sea foods and iodized salt are beneficial for hypothyroidism.