Breastfeeding can be defined as an exceptional activity performed by the mother to help her baby be healthy. This activity not only helps the mother but is also beneficial for the baby. It helps in bonding and helps in formulating an exceptional connect.
Benefits of Breastfeeding for Baby
- It is the ideal nutrition for infants it has a perfect mix of vitamins, proteins and fats- everything a baby needs to grow.
- Breast milk contains antibodies that help baby fight against many infections. It decreases the risk of respiratory tract infections and diarrhea, in infants.It lowers the risk of asthma and food allergies. It also lower risk of ear infections and type 1 diabetes in infants.
- Breastfeeding improves cognitive development and has been linked with higher IQ scores in later childhood.
- Breastfeeding decrease the risk of obesity in adulthood.
- Breastfeeding develops bonding between mother and baby because of physical closeness, skin-to-skin touch and eye contact. This helps in baby feed secure.
Benefits of Breastfeeding for Mother
Breastfeeding help loose pregnancy weight because it burns extra calories of mother.
- Breastfeeding helps in better uterus shrinkage and less blood loss following delivery because it (breastfeeding)releases the hormone oxytocin.
- Breastfeeding provides contraception.
- Breastfeeding lowers the risk of breast and ovarian cancer. It also lowers the risk of cardio vascular disease and osteoporosis.
- Breastfeeding saves time and money of mother as it is always available and unlike infant formula you don’t have to buy it or sterilize bottles.
- Breastfeeding develops bonding between mother and baby as it gives an opportunity to the mother and baby to relax quietly together.