A pregnancy becomes high-risk when associated with advanced age, high blood pressure, deranged blood sugar, low lying placenta, obesity etc. This means you need to be more vigilant and see your gynecologist doctor more frequently for abetter outcome. While this article can give you an overview of what may cause a high-risk pregnancy, find the best gynecologist near you to tailor these suggestions to your specific case. To understand how to effectively deal with a high-risk pregnancy, let us first look at the main risk factors –
1) Medical issues that exist before the pregnancy – If you have pre-existing conditions such as HIV, obesity, diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, or any history of miscarriages, you will probably be classified as a high-risk pregnancy. However, your existing medical issues are no cause for excessive worry as there are several methods of dealing with your medical problems and any gynecologist specialist or obstetrician will be able to direct you to the best course of action for your pregnancy.
2) Medical issues that arise during the course of the pregnancy – There are several problems that may arise during the course of your pregnancy which could affect you and your baby. Obstetrics and gynecology doctors will keep a close watch for any issues that may arise according to your particular medical history. Some of the most common problems are preeclampsia and gestational diabetes.
- Preeclampsia is a serious pregnancy complication that is characterized by high blood pressure. Sometimes it can lead to severe and sometimes fatal complications for you and your baby. For some, there are no symptoms, but for others, there can be swelling in the legs, water retention, high blood pressure, and protein in the urine.
- – Gestational diabetes develops during pregnancy. It is usually resolved after delivery but you should still find the best gynecologist near you to help construct a plan.
3) Age-related issues – Women who are younger than 17 or older than 35 have higher risk pregnancies. Women over the age of 40 are also more susceptible to miscarriages and genetic defects. Any lady doctor near you will be able to further inform you of the risks of your age and how they can be overcome.
While these risk factors are concerning, with the help of your gynecologist specialist you should be able to have a healthy, happy, and stress-free pregnancy. Some things you can do to be as safe as possible include attending all your appointments, taking the medication prescribed to you, and asking any and all questions you may have towards your concerned doctor. Additionally, you can also ensure you incorporate all of these things into your daily life –
- Getting adequate and frequent physical exercise. Consult your gynecologist regarding what types of exercises you should do but some common ones are walking, swimming, and even dancing!
- Eating a healthy diet and maintaining an optimal weight. A nutritious, balanced, and high-fiber diet is usually recommended for every pregnancy. If you have questions regarding any specific foods, direct them towards your gynecologist specialist who will be more than happy to answer.
- Stay hydrated. If you’re low on fluids you might find yourself feeling lazy and weak, none of which is good for you or the baby.
- Reduce stress. Reducing your workload, getting more rest, stepping outside, and leaning on your partner or support system for help are small ways in which you can keep stress levels low.
Apart from the above mentioned steps, you should consult your gynecologist every step of the way and direct any question to them. To help find the best gynecologist near you, check out Paras Hospital’s gynecology and obstetrics department.