Joint pain is very common in both males and females, in old as well as in young people. It can be caused by a number of different factors like trauma which may leads to either fracture or sprain and strain, bursitis, tendonitis , arthritis, etc
There are many things to do to avoid joint pain like regular exercise which strengthen the muscle, support the joint and increase flexibility. Weight training and stretching exercises are also very useful. Weight reduction reduces the stress over joints and alleviates the joint pain. It also reduces the progression of arthritis of joints. For every 1 pound of weight you lose, you reduce the load on your knee joint by 4 pounds.
Healthy food habits like fruits, veggies and whole grains are natural inflammation fighters that can also help control your weight. Fatty fish rich in omega 3 fatty acid fight inflammation. Vitamin C , garlic, turmeric helps in reduction of inflammation of joint and arthritis.
Everyday routine recommended to prevent joint pain:
Do some gentle exercise in the evening; you’ll feel less stiff in the morning. When you’re sitting still, either watching TV, reading or working at your desk, be sure to:
- Adjust your position frequently.
- Periodically tilt your neck from side to side, change the position of your hands and bend and stretch your legs.
- Pace yourself. Take breaks so that you don’t overuse a single joint and cause more pain.
- Stand and walk around every half-hour or so.
Home Remedies for Relieving Joint Pain:
There are number of things to temporarily alleviate the pain
- Immobilisation and rest– splinting and bracing gives rest to the joints and helps the body to repair itself naturally.
- Ice therapy – reduces blood flow therefore reduces tissue swelling and pain.
- Massage– Gentle massage relaxes the muscle and tendon.
- Medication- NSAID and muscle relaxant drug helps in relieving pain.
- Accupuncture– it helps enhance the range of movement of joints and relieve the stiffness and pain.
How to prevent joint pain?
Joint Pain is caused due to autoimmune disorders such as Rheumatoid Arthritis or Osteoarthritis. They are also caused due to the wear and tear in the body. However there are simple lifestyle modifications that can help you prevent joint pain:
- Quit Smoking-Toxins in smoke cause stress on connective tissue, leading to joint problems.
- Have a balanced body weight – the more your weight, the more is the pressure on the joints
- Overtreatment or undertreament advised by doctor – be sure of the medication that is being prescribed to you. Also ask the doctor about the side effects of the same.
- Avoid activities that involve high impact and repetitive motion.