Knee is that largest joint in the body. The knee is located at the juncture of three bones, the femur, the tibia and the patella. Knee can not only bend and flex, it can twist and rotate.
Degeneration of the joint can occur as a result of trauma or from wear and tear over time. Whatever the cause of the degeneration, it ultimately leads to pain and decreases range of motion. Muscle weakness, obesity, heredity, joint injury or stress, and aging are responsible factors. Cartilage breaks down and the bone ends start rubbing against each other during walk.
Common Causes of Knee Pain and Inflammation
- Osteoarthritis (wear and tear)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Septic Arthritis.
- Post-traumatic arthritis caused by:
- Ligament injuries
- Meniscus tears
Symptoms of Knee Arthritis
- During activity
- At rest or sleeping
- Swelling and tightness
- Bone spurs
- Grinding sound during movement
- Stiffness and decreased range of motion
Osteoarthritis is the most common indication for Total Knee Replacement in India. If there is limitation in daily activities it means you are having arthritis of some kind. If you are prevented from carrying out your everyday activities due to pain or discomfort in the knee, then you may have arthritis of some kind. Bending, squatting, kneeling, and walking are common problems faced by persons suffering from osteoarthritis. Most knee replacement are done between the ages of 60 and 80 years old but in some cases, younger patients with knee problems such as traumatic knee injuries may also require a total knee replacement
What to do in case of Inflammation?
If you are experiencing inflammation in your knee along with redness, refer to the following :
- Opt for hot and cold therapy: Use ice or use a warm water bottle to alleviate the pain. The cold and hot therapy can sooth your muscles.
- Apply oil: Use mustard oil or pain oil to relieve the pain. Note that when you would be applying the same, your joints may become heated and red. This a part of the process.
- Use sprays : Use the over the counter available sprays so that the pain can be relieved.
- Don’t self medicate.
- Consult a specialist in case of persistent chronic pain.