Dengue leaves some long term ill effects including hair fall, alopecia, joint pain and muscle pain.
As per a study which was published in April 2013 edition of Nature, around 390 million people are infected with dengue virus every year, globally. This is around 3 times more than the estimate of 100 million people shared by World Health Organization.
In children Dengue causes more complications:
While suffering from dengue fever, children below 10 years of age are affected differently. The functionality of their circulatory system gets affected. The rate of mortality due to dengue lies from 6 % -30 % wherein it was found that it were mostly children that died amongst the dengue patients. Infants below the age of 1 year suffering from dengue, are more prone to death because of it.
Post Dengue also there are a number of effects on your health:
- Hair fall : Several Dengue patients while recovering from their disease complain of shedding of hair. People affected by dengue also develop alopecia because of stress of metabolics during the disease.
- Joint pain : A massive number of patients that recovered from dengue often complain about persistent muscular and joint pain.
- Muscular pain : An unprecendented population of dengue patients have complained about viral polyarthralgia or pain in multiple joints and also myalgia or muscular pain. This is a condition which persists for several days of recovery.
- Deficiencies : The associated mineral and vitamin deficiencies make pain worse and also debilitating in several cases.
- Cumulative effects: Dengue poses pathological effects upon joints, muscles, bones and tendons. An increased risk of polyarthralgia and myalgia are noticed within the dengue patients who have associated co-morbid condition, patients with mineral and vitamin deficiency, the ones that are elderly and also the malnourished children.
Additional doses of vitamins and exercise assist in recovery from joint pain. Vitamin D and Vitamin E boost the recovery. Thus, maintaining good level of nutrition and good health shall assist in fighting with the disease in a better way. People that are deficient in terms of micronutrients such as Vitamin B12, D and E often complain of persistent joint and muscle pain in comparison with the ones with sufficient level of vital nutrients.