The CRAFFT screening tool is a specialised 6 item measurement tool that is devised for adolescent children. Each of the letters stand for a word that showcase scenarios in which one could ever be involved. It is designed for children of 14-18 years of age.
If you want to check the drug exposure of your child, you can ask these questions politely, in a light manner to understand if he is exposed to drugs or if his company is using the same.
The following are the questions:
• Have you ever ridden in a car driven by someone (including yourself) who was high or had been using alcohol or drugs?
• Do you ever use alcohol or drugs to relax, feel better about yourself, or fit in?
• Do you ever use alcohol or drugs while you are by yourself ( alone )?
• Do you ever forget things you did while using alcohol or drugs?
• Do your family or friends ever tell you that you should cut down on your drinking or drug use?
• Have you ever gotten into trouble while you were using alcohol or drugs?
Answering yes to one item suggests possible problematic substance
use; answering yes to two or more is both sensitive and specific for identifying adolescents who need intensive treatment because of their substance use. If you have an indicative answer, it is best that you contact a specialist – Clinical Psychologist.