Stress is very common now a day’s and it is affecting all age groups – Be it school going children, young adults or working professionals. No one is immune to stress in the present fast and competitive world.
So, what is stress? Stress is the body’s response to any kind of physical or emotional demand or threat. Body releases certain stress hormones under these pressure conditions. On long term basis , stress can lead to many chronic conditions affecting the heart and can cause mental disorders like depression, sleep disorders or affect the social well being also.
Women and Stress:
Women deal with stress differently than men. Women are generally soft, caring and gentle. They have to manage their personal and professional life and generally get less support at both fronts.They generally spend their life taking care of others and give least attention to their own needs( emotional and physical). As women progress through different life stages her emotional balance also changes affecting her emotionally making her vulnerable to stress and depression.
Ways to handle Stress:
- Relax – don’t take each and every situation seriously , take a deep breath, not all emergencies are a do or die situation.
- Learn yoga, meditation or other relaxing techniques. Go for a massage , listen to music or talk to a good friend.
- Make time for yourself – love yourself and take care or yourself and then you can love and care for others as well. Take out time to do things which you like.
- Sleeping is a great way to help both your body and mind. Try to get atleast 8 hours of sleep.
- Get a hobby and immerse yourself in doing something creative and constructive.
- Do regular exercise- it is the best way to bust stress in a healthy way.
- Make new friends or travel to new places. Explore the unknown and spend time with people.
- Focus on one thing at a time.
How to manage stress:
Don’t let stress make you sick . Often people are not aware of the stress levels and how they are affecting them. One should pay attention to themselves and focus on their emotional and physical needs. Take a break, go on holiday, eat what you like, go out with friends and relax. Live life, love yourself, listen to your body.
Side effects of Stress on Women:
- Menstrual problems: Stress can cause delay in periods or sometimes short cycles.
- Infertility : Stress can affect the hormonal levels leading to an ovulation and infertility.
- Hair loss : Many women complain if losing hair and biting their nails in stress.
- Eating disorders : Either women end up binging on healthy food items or completely refuse to eat anything. In stress the best is to out ant divert your attention to something constructive.
- Skin ailments: Stress can lead to pimples, break outs and even itching and rashes.
- Sleep disorders: Trouble in falling asleep is common in women under stress.
- Heart disease: High blood pressure., stroke and heart attack are common ailments caused due to stress. This is because women take stress to heart and are more susceptible to go through heart disease due to stressful situations.
- Depression : Women can go into a shell and suffer from acute depression. If you are getting self loathing or helpless thoughts, reach out to your loved ones and talk. If talking and reaching out also doesn’t resolve the situation, consult a specialist. Medical expertise can ensure that stress doesn’t affect your health.
- Weight gain : Women stop going out, start eating unhealthily and restrict their interaction with people in depression and stress. The result is that they start to gain weight. It is best that you keep a check on the scales and opt for a strict diet.
- Decreased libido: Stress affects the sex life the most. A decrease in libido can affect relationships and create distances. Talk to your partner and of needed opt for medical advice.