On the suspicion of having been exposed to a hepatitis virus, we shall immediately consult a doctor. The doctor would give us a vaccine & a shot of the hepatitis B immune globulin. The protein augments our immune system & assists in fighting off this infection.
For speedy recovery, the doctors may ask us for bed rest for a while.
We would have to quit stuff which harms our liver, such as alcohol & acetaminophen. Do not take any drug, supplements or herbal treatments without consulting the doctor. Some of them could be harmful to the liver. Eating a healthy diet would be important.
Even if the infection is gone, our doctor may tell us that we are an inactive carrier. After this, he would simply closely observe us. If the infection remains active for over 6 months, he would tell us that we have active chronic hepatitis B. The doctor could prescribe some of the below medicines:
- Interferon alfa or (Roferon A, Intron A, Sylatron)- The medicine reinforces our immune system. We need to take this as a shot for no less than 6 months. It does not cure this disease but treats the liver inflammation. The long-acting interferon, peginterferon alfa 2a could also help. The drug has side effects. It could make us get depressed, feel bad all over& reduce our appetite to minimal. It also reduces our white blood cell count, which makes it tougher to fight off the infection.
- Lamivudine (3tc, Epivir, Epivir HBV, Epivir A/F, Heptovir)- It is either a tablet or liquid which we take once every day. Most of the individuals do not have any problems with it. However, if it is taken for long, the virus could cease responding to the drug.
- Adefovir dipivoxil r Hepsera– The drug is taken as a tablet works fine for individuals not responding to lamivudine. However, high dosage may lead to kidney problems.
- Baraclude or Entecavir– It is the latest drug for hepatitis B taken both as a liquid or as a tablet.
- Tenofovir or Viread – The drug is taken as a powder or also as a tablet. The medicine must be taken under the supervision of our doctor as this could be harmful to the kidneys.