Hypertension is now a lifestyle disorder that is affecting us all. It is also associated with a number of other lifestyle diseases such as – diabetes, obesity , heart disease to list a few. Post detection of a high o fluctuating blood pressure, it is best the necessary precautions are taken to avoid any further complications. Informed treatment helps in management of hypertension and tames the effect of the silent killer on you.
Hypertension treatment requires lifelong commitment to improve lifestyle and in the same taking medication regularly is essential.
The treatment includes:
- Low salt diet
- Regular physical activity
- Stopping tobacco
- Reducing alcohol
- Reducing stress
- Taking medication regularly
- Usually when blood pressure is mildly elevated, hypertension can be just managed by lifestyle modifications without any medication.
Once despite having lifestyle modification if blood pressure goes beyond 140 of systolic and 90 of diastolic, it is recommended that the patient starts on medication. It is also important to note that the lifestyle modifications will continue even if you are on medications.
- Stopping the use of tobacco products is very important as long standing hypertension with tobacco will lead to increase chances of peripheral arterial disease (Heart Disease) and increase chances of lower limb amputation.
- Alcohol in moderation up to 60 ml doesn’t cause much harm but do not go beyond that.
- Studies have shown that reduction in stress leads to decrease in blood pressure hence anything which de-stresses you should be done regularly and Yoga may be of help in this case.
- Low salt intake is very important while managing hypertension. You should not exceed your salt intake beyond5 gm per day and try to avoid table salt.
- It’s very important to take your medications regularly as non compliance with medication can cause severe increase in blood pressure and if there is need to reduce medication it should be done under supervision of your doctor.