Vegetarian diets are popular. Reasons for following a vegetarian diet are varied but include health benefits, such as reducing your risk of heart disease, diabetes and some cancers. Vegetarian and high saturated fatty acid diets show decreased LDL levels and elevated HDL cholesterol level. If you are planning to lose weight, opting for a vegetarian diet is not just good, its great for detoxification too.
A vegetarian diet consist of only foods of plant origin ,and no meat,fish,eggs or others animals products are allowed. Philosophically, many say that a vegan diet is apt and helps you connect with nature, nutritionally, it helps you eat more of natural food and limit on the processed food items. If you are a non vegetarian wanting to shift to a vegan diet, consult a nutrition expert to balance your diet to ensure that you continue to receive all the nutrients.
Here is the question how to get proper nutrition from vegan diet
This requires care in planning and knowledge of the strengths and weakness of various foods, for this purpose the following steps should be taken.
- Reduce substantially all high calorie, low nutrient density foods like soft drinks (carbonated beverage ).Such foodstuffs have empty calories instead use unrefined foods as far as practical, which on a calorie basis supply their share of nutrients
- Replace chicken, egg and fish with paneer, milk, cheese, curd and from dairy products for protein requirements.
- Replace meat with legumes ,seeds and nuts
- Increase the intake of whole grain breads and cereals,legumes,nuts,and seeds to maintain energy intake
- Use a variety of fruits and vegetables for fibre and vit and min
- Eat dry fruit since they contain substantial quantities of several nutrients. in order to meet the requirements of vitamin D ,regularly expose the body to the sunsrays,and supplement the diet with vitamin b12
- Obtain additional food energy from sweeteners such as sugar. Use jaggery as a substitute.
- Eat sufficiently to maintain ideal weight for height
- Ensure selection of nutritious foods
- Use vegetarian cooks books and recipes for preparing tasty and nutritious dishes..