You can protect yourself against dengue fever by taking the following precautions:
- Protect yourself against mosquito bites.
- Prevent mosquito breeding inside and outside your home.
- Avoid visiting areas prone to mosquitoes.
Following simple recommendations can help you prevent dengue and the breeding of mosquitoes:
- Turn over blank pails and buckets so that they do not collect extra water.
- Buckets and drums should must cover that are used for storing water.
- Clean daily out all empty flower pots.
- Ensure that you do not over water potted plants.
- Clean and empty water plates and bowls of domestic pets at home and the water bowls of birds in the balcony.
- Repair broken septic tanks and cover vent pipes with wire mesh, if available at home.
- Throw away the plants that you keep in water at home.
- Wear full clothes that can cover you completely. Wear long sleeved shirt long pants and closed-toe shoes instead of sandals.
- Apply mosquito repellents whenever possible or wear mosquito patches.
- The mosquitoes that carry the dengue viruses are most active from dawn to dusk keep windows and doors closed during theses hours.
- If it is cooler at home, make sure you clean it daily.
- Always keep the dustbins clean, do not let any dirt get collected to avoid mosquitoes.
- Use light camphor as it will help in keeping the mosquitoes away.
- Use mosquito nets while sleeping