Deworming is a prophylactic measure to prevent children from worm infestation. Deworming is a process in which a medicine is given to the affected person to get rid of helminths. Helminths are nothing but parasitic worms, which can affect your general well being. These worms usually make the intestine their home from where they start causing issues.The medicine used for deworming is Albendazole.
Important points for De-Worming:
- Infants under 1 year should not be dewormed.
- For children under the age of 13 to 23 months, the dosage is 200mg. (single dose)
- For children above 2 years of age, the dosage is 400mg. (single dose).
- The dosage can be given once or twice in a year according to the severity of the disease prevalent in your area.
- Deworming is safe with least side- effects, ensure that your children are dewormed at least once in a year to prevent Helminthiasis. (worm infestation)
Soil-transmitted helminths infections are among the most common infections in humans, caused by a group of parasites commonly referred to as worms, including roundworms, whipworms and hookworms.
Worms and how they attack the nutritional status:
- Worms feed on the host tissues, including blood, which leads to a loss of iron and protein and often contributes to anaemia.Worms can increase the malabsorption of nutrients; roundworm may compete for Vitamin A in the intestine.
- Some worms can cause a loss of appetite, reducing nutritional intake and physical fitness. Some worms can cause diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Worms have negative effects on the mental and physical development of children.
- Children with worms are often underweight and have stunted growth. Heavy infections often make children too sick or too tired to concentrate at or even attend school.
How to prevent infections by worms?
Infections can be prevented by taking precautions, including:
- Using sanitary toilets, not defecating outside
- Keep the surroundings clean
- Hand-washing, particularly before eating and after using toilets
- Wearing slippers and shoes
- Washing fruits and vegetables in safe and clean water
- Properly cooking food; Keeping cooked food covered
- Always drink clean water