Burkitt’s Lymphoma is a rare and aggressive form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma is a type of cancer of the lymphatic system, which helps your body fight infections.The disease is named after Denis Burkitt, a British surgeon who was the first to identify the disease in African children. Burkitt lymphoma was first found to occur in children in Central Africa although it also affects children from other parts of the world. Those with HIV are at a greater risk of getting affected,besides it is known to mostly affect males. Symptoms associated with Burkitt lymphoma includes:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite, change in bowel habits, or both
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Signs and symptoms of acute abdomen
- Intestinal perforation
Once you notice any of these symptoms let our team of specialists know at Paras hospitals who will provide you with the apt treatment.
The exact cause of Burkitt lymphoma is not known. However, the lymphomas are characterized by a translocation and deregulation of a gene (c-myc) on chromosome 8. In addition, there has been an association between Burkitt lymphoma and a high incidence of malaria and/or infection with Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). Additionally, patients with a depressed immune response have also been noted to have a higher incidence of Burkitt lymphoma.
Risks associated with burkitt lymphoma include
- Exposure to certain chemicals and drugs such as benzene and certain herbicides and insecticides (weed- and insect-killing substances) may be linked to an increased risk of burkitt lymphoma.
- Radiation exposure- studies of survivors of atomic bombs and nuclear reactor accidents have shown they have an increased risk of developing several types of cancer, including burkitt lymphoma.
- Having a weak immune system.
Treatment of Burkitt lymphoma is very aggressive as it involves fast-growing cancer cells, people with this disease should be quickly evaluated byour specialised oncologist or hematologist at Paras hospitals for aggressive chemotherapy. Paras Hospital offers a state-of-the-art 10 bedded day care facility for chemotherapy. A multi-disciplinary team dispels services ranging from cancer screening to diagnosis and cancer management in a holistic manner.The team comprises of experienced doctors, dedicated nurses and trained technicians.