Gas can appear at the most inopportune times: during an important meeting or in a crowded elevator. Although expelling intestinal gas (flatus) is not something serious, it can be embarrassing.
Anything that causes intestinal gas or is associated with constipation or diarrhea can cause gas pains.
Signs and Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of gas and gas pains are too visible. Some of them are:
- Voluntary and involuntary expulsion of gases, either as belches or flatus.
- Acute or sharp pain or cramps in the abdomen. These strains can manifest in any part of the abdomen and can change places and improve quickly.
- Feel a “knot” in the abdomen.
- Inflammation and stiffness in the gut (swelling).
When to see the doctor?
It is considered normal to expel gases like flatus between 10 and 20 times a day. However, that amount varies according to the day.
Call the doctor if the gases are accompanied by:
- Prolonged abdominal pain
- Bloody stools
- A change in the color and frequency of stool
- Weight loss
- Chest pain
- Persistent or recurrent nausea or vomiting
Foods high in fiber that cause gases and gas pains include:
- Whole grains
- Beans and peas (legumes)
- Swallow air
- Intolerance to food
- Artificial sweeteners
You are more likely to have gas problems if:
- You are lactose intolerant or gluten
- You follow a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes
- Drinking drinks with gas
- You have a chronic intestinal disorder, such as irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease
Your doctor is likely to determine what causes gas and gas pains based on the following:
- Physical examination of the body
- A review of your eating habit
- Clinical history of the patient
Treatment and Management
- Beano’s reduce the amount of gas production
- Consume Enzyme lactase supplements (Lactaid, Dairy-Ease), which help digest lactose, can be helpful if you have lactose intolerance.
- Over-the-counter products containing simethicone (Gas-X, Gelusil, Mylanta, Mylicon) help break down bubbles in gases
- Eat slowly, chew the food well and do not swallow it
- Do not smoke
- Do exercise