Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
The Electroconvulsive therapy or ECT is done under general anesthesia. Under this procedure, small electric currents pass through the brain in order to trigger a small seizure. An ECT causes changes in the chemistry of the brain to quickly reverse certain medical illness symptoms. There is a lot of stigma that is associated with the ECT. This is mainly owing to the earlier treatments, where the treatment involved high doses of electricity that were administered without any anesthesia. This earlier form of treatment at times resulted in memory loss, fracturing of bones, and other side effects. However, today, ECT is a much safer procedure. There could still be some side effects, but the treatment is now conducted in controlled settings to provide patients with the maximum benefits, with lowest possible risks.
Why is it done?
ECT has proved successful in providing patients with significant and rapid improvements in several mental health conditions. The treatment is used to treat:
- Severe depression, especially when it is accompanied by psychosis, suicidal tendencies or refusal to eat
- Treatment-resistant depression that doesnot improve with treatments or medications
- Severe mania in bipolar disorder, which may include a state of intense euphoria, agitation or hyperactivity. It may also include other symptoms like impaired decision-making, risky or impulsive behavior, substance abuse, and psychosis.
- Catatonia, which is characterized by the lack of movementor any fast or strange movements.It may alsoinclude lack of speech.
- Agitation and aggression in people with dementia
- Confusion immediately after treatment
- Memory loss (may improve)
- Physical side effects like nausea, headache, jaw pain or muscle ache
- Medical complications like heart rate and blood pressure increasing during treatment
Paras Healthcare Provides Comprehensive and Best Treatment for the Patients coming from- UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kenya, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, United Kingdom(U K), Pakistan, Nigeria,Tanzania, Ethopia, Congo, Zambia, Iraq, Burundi, Oman, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, USA, Canada, Europe, Uganda, Fiji, Libya, Nepal, Yemen, Sudan.
Cost of Treatment/Estimate of Treatment
To know more about cost and estimate of treatment of brain tumor, brachial plexus, deep seated tumors, pituitary tumors, olfactory tumors, neurosurgeons, neuro surgery experts, please share your request and reports at firstname.lastname@example.org