In cases where a specific part of the knee is damaged due to arthritis, doctors suggest undergoing a knee osteotomy. Knee osteotomy is a surgical procedure that involves cutting and reshaping one of the two, upper shinbone (tibia) or lower thighbone (femur), in order to shift weight and relieve pain off the damaged portion of the knee.
Ageing, obesity, injury
Preparing for the surgery
- Before the surgery, you may be admitted to the hospital a day in advance for inspection and evaluation.
- During the surgery, following anesthesia, your bone will be shaped or inserted with a wedge and screwed together to hold the bones in place until the osteotomy completely heals.
- After the surgery, you’ll be kept under observation and recovery monitor for a day or two, following which you will likely be given a knee support like braces or cast for protection of the knee for 3 to 6 months.
- Body weight is transferred from the arthritic or painful part of the knee to the other side which is a healthier area.
- The bones straighten as a result of the bone wedge insertion which leads to correction of poor knee alignment.
- Extends the life span of the knee joint.
Osteotomy can lead to unaligned bones causing stress and extra weight on one side of the knee, further causing cartilage damage and hindered movement. This procedure is best for thin and active individuals who do not suffer from knee cap damage of regular pain.
Paras Healthcare Provides Comprehensive and Best Treatment for the Patients coming from- UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kenya, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, United Kingdom(U K), Pakistan, Nigeria,Tanzania, Ethopia, Congo, Zambia, Iraq, Burundi, Oman, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, USA, Canada, Europe, Uganda, Fiji, Libya, Nepal, Yemen, Sudan.
Cost of Treatment/Estimate of Treatment
To know more about the orthopedicians, joint specialists, sports injury specialists and the cost and estimate for joint replacement, hip replacement, shoulder replacement, fracture, bone injury, please share your request and reports at email@example.com