Infertility |Gynecologist | Dr Monica Agarwal Blog Paras Bliss Infertility |Gynecologist | Dr Monica Agarwal Blog Paras Bliss

Can my Gynaecologist treat me for infertility ?

Can my Gynaecologist treat me for infertility ?

by: Dr. Monica Agarwal
Sr. Consultant Obstetrics & Gynecology - Paras Bliss, Panchkula

Infertility is defined as not being able to get pregnant after one year of unprotected

intercourse for women under 35 or six months in women over 35 years of age.

Causes can be both in the male and female partner. Women have a limited number of eggs in the ovary and hence their fertility declines after 35 years and even more after 40. Infertile couples are often intrigued by the dilemma as to whom to approach – a gynaecologist or infertility specialist .


Woman have a comfort factor with a  Gynecologist :

As women are most comfortable with their gynecologist and can share their intimate medical and psychological details, so they usually approach them . Gynecologists are good in handling women’s health and can provide them with a diagnosis of the cause of infertility . They are also well equipped to handle simple problems. If the gynecologist feels that the problem is complex or the patient does not conceive in 6 – 8 months time she might refer the couple to an infertility specialist . Also if the female is more than 35 years she might need an aggressive approach and infertility specialist would

be a better option.

Who is an Infertility Expert?

Infertility specialists are expert in handling infertility problems and have advanced technology. But they are also expensive and not always available at small places. Patient may have to travel long distances multiple times to get the expertise . They also understand the emotional trauma of infertile couple and along with a psychologist handle them better. The waiting area is not full of expectant mothers to add to the agony of the patient. Infertility is a medical disorder beyond your control and it needs appropriate medical attention in a very organised fashion.


The Solution of Approach :

 So the bottom line is that if after one year of trying to get pregnant , you are not able to conceive , you should approach your gynaecologist . She can investigate and offer a solution for a simple issue. But if the problem is complex , she can refer you to an infertility specialist for a more advanced and aggressive approach for a successful conception.

Paras Bliss Guraon
Paras Bliss Panchkula