Gynaecological cancers are an important cause of female morbidity and mortality . Endometrial , cervical , ovarian and Fallopian tube cancers and choriocarcinomas are the cancers found in females only.All the women must be aware of the warning signals of cancers and be on the lookout for them so that the disease can be picked up early and cured. It is estimated that 70% of the women opt for medical assistance when they are at a later and more aggressive stage of cancer. We need to spread awareness and make the women aware about the aspects of prevention.
Signs and Symptoms of Cancer in Women:
- Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding -Whether it is post menopausal bleeding or inter menstrual bleeding (bleeding in between periods ) or post coital bleeding (after intercourse ), all require immediate attention . These could be signals for endometrial cancer.
- Sudden Unexplained Weight Loss – This invariably occurs in cancers anywhere in the body and must ring a bell and be investigated .
- Blood Stained Foul Smelling Vaginal Discharge – This very often indicates infection but may also be a sign of cervical cancer ,one of the commonest cancers in women of our country .
- Constant Fatigue – This disrupting ones daily routine must never be taken lightly and one must visit a doctor to find out the reason .
- Swelling of One of the Legs– This in the presence of other signs or symptoms may point toward cervical cancer .
- Pelvic or Lower Abdominal Pain – This almost invariably occurs in patients of ovarian and endometrial cancers. A constant pain ,cramps may occur or one may feel some pressure .
- Bloated Abdomen For More Than 2 Weeks – This after the period or otherwise is another important symptom .
- Increased frequency of urination – This in the absence of pregnancy , infection or increased fluid intake is not a welcome sign .
- Persistent indigestion or nausea – If this is lasting for over 2 weeks requires one to visit a physician.
- Loss of appetite– This is another symptom that should not be taken casually .