A leading journal has selected the medical article of Delhi NCR’s Top Dementia Treatment and Management doctor – Dr Vijay Chandra, Sr Consultant, Paras Hospitals, Gurgaon. The illustrious article has been co authored by another stalwart in Neurosurgery in India – Dr (Prof) VS Mehta, Padmashree, Chairman Neurosciences, Paras Healthcare.
Together the two leading Neurosciences medical professionals have highlighted that Paras Hospitals, Gurgaon is one of the leading hospitals for Neurology, Neurosurgery and Neuro related treatments such as – Dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease, Epilepsy, Memory Loss, Movement Disorder, Paralysis, Stroke, Brain Tumor, Spinal Tumor and Pediatric Neurology, to list a few.
The well detailed article was based on the first 100 dementia patients seen at Paras Hospitals, Guragon. The same highlighted the rising incidences and the conclusions with reference to the earlier research sighted by other journals and doctors. It also stressed on the clinical aspects and the rising incidence of a specific type of dementia in the Indian population.
Some of the inferences highlighted by the study are:
- The Indo-US study done by Dr. Chandra and colleagues in the year 1998 and 2001 pointed out that the incidence and prevalence of dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease) was lower in Ballabgarh (Haryana – India) compared to a population in Pittsburgh (USA), despite similarity in APOE genotype.
- At that time the research hypothesized a gene-environment interaction (low cholesterol) which protected residents of Ballabgarh.
- Recently (2016), a large study from California USA showed that Asians (including Indians) had the lowest incidence/prevalence of dementia compared to Hispanics, Latinos, blacks and whites
- Asians have distinct allergies to carbamazepine and oxcarbazepine. They are also slow acetylators of phenytoin. These affect Caucasians much less.
- The latest finding is that Lewy Body Dementia is more common than Alzheimer’s disease (which is the commonest type of dementia globally).
According to Dr Vijay Chandra, Sr Consultant, Neurology, Dementia & Memory Loss Expert , Paras Hospitals, Gurgaon, “ Dementia as a disease is widely prevalent in India and about 50% of the geriatric population above the age of 60 yrs is affected by the same. Dementia as a disease is usually misdiagnosed or ignored by the masses and the signs and symptoms are termed as “old age”. However the same are associated with disease of the brain. This is mainly due to lack of awareness and knowledge in the public about the disease. Our aim as doctors is to not just educated the masses about the signs, symptoms, treatment and management of Dementia, but also educate other medical professionals to make sound diagnosis and if needed refer the patients to specialised experts. Our country lacks documentation on Dementia and various parameters associated with it. This paper is a small attempt to bridge this gap.”
Paras Hospitals, Gurgaon is a premier hospital for Dementia treatment and management. The hospital has a specialised clinic headed by Dr Vijay Chandra and has over the 30 years treated numerous patients suffering from Dementia successfully.