Our busy lives take a toll on our health and start to affect our life adversely. The sedentary life, junk food, no time for exercise makes us susceptible to diabetes and heart disease. India is projected to be the Heart Disease capital of the world. The signs and symptoms of heart disease are silent and usually get noticed at an advanced stage. Following are a list of 12 super foods that can save your heart from getting stressed and diseased. Include them in your diet and try and avoid the fatty processed food options.
12 Super Foods :
- Nuts-This includes almonds, walnuts, pistachios and peanuts , all of which contain good-for-your-heart fiber. They also contain vitamin E, which helps lower bad cholesterol. And some, like walnuts are high in omega-3 fatty acids. That lowers the risk of heart problems.
- Flax seed-It is also known as chia seeds or in Hindi as They are high in omega 3 fatty acid and contain high fibre. It is recommended to include 1 tablespoon roasted aalsi in your daily diet.
- Salmon Fish –They are the super star of heart healthy foods, because it contains large amount of omega-3 fatty acid that lowers the risk of arrhythmia (irregular heart beat) and atherosclerosis . It also has less triglyceride, so it is recommended to add the salmon in your diet plan. A two times per week plan should be chalked out.
- Oatmeal-It has high insoluble fiber which can lower cholesterol .It acts as a sponge in the digestive tract and soaks up the cholesterol so it is eliminated from body and not absorbed into the blood stream. Other whole grains such as dalia, atta bread ,pasta are good for the heart.
- Soy Products-Soy products include tofu, soybeans, soy nuggets and soya milk are good options to add protein in your diet. They are great options as they do the same without adding unhealthy fat and cholesterol in your system.
- Potatoes-They are rich in potassium which can help lower blood pressure.
- Tomatoes-As like potatoes, tomatoes are high in heart healthy potassium, plus they are a good source of lycopene. Lycopene is a carotenoid that helps you get rid of bad cholesterol and keeps your blood vessels open. They also help in ensuring a lower heart attack rate.
- Citrus Fruits-Orange, grapefruit contain high amounts of the flavonoids. They lower the risk of ischemic stroke . Citrus fruits are also rich in vitamin C, which has been linked with a lower risk of heart disease. Beware of citrus juices that contain added sugar.
- Olive Oil-Olive oil is good source of monounsaturated fat which can help reduce both cholesterol and blood sugar level but it is not very economical. So you can go for sunflower oil ,mustard or soybean oil. Avoid animal fats like butter, ghee cheese.
- Berries-Strawberries, blueberries and all other berries contain anthocyanin, flavonoids that may decrease blood pressure and dilate blood vessels.
- Pomegranates–It contain number of antioxidants including heart promoting polyphenols and anthocyanin , which may help stave off hardening of arteries.
- Green Leafy Vegetables-When it comes to your health, you really can’t go wrong with vegetables. Green vegetables may give an extra boost to your heart. These are high in carotenoids, which act as antioxidants and free your body of potentially harmful compounds. They’re also high in fiber and contain tons of vitamins and minerals.