What are Mucormycosis and black fungus infection?
For those wondering, what is a black fungus infection? The answer is, black fungus infection is the common term for mucormycosis, a type of fungus infection that is often contracted through the use of medicinal steroids or the inhalation of fungal spores. It has been a cause of concern for several people, specifically COVID patients, as it spreads across Udaipur. The duration of a black fungal infection in COVID differs according to various factors such as the intensity of the infection, predisposition, weaker immune systems, and the black fungus infection treatment process. To understand this further, let’s look at what the Mucormycosis black fungus infection treatment process entails and how those infected in Udaipur can combat it using mucormycosis COVID prevention:
Mucormycosis and black fungus infection that is affecting COVID patients, To learn how to identify the sign, symptoms, and causes of mucormycosis and black fungus
- Continuous Monitoring – The first step once a patient has been infected with black fungus infection in COVID is clinical monitoring to ensure that the black fungal disease spread does not become dangerous. Monitoring accompanied by radio-imaging is the method of assessing disease progression and will help chart the course for the rest of your treatment plan and will identity how fast the mucormycosis is spreading. In addition, this helps maintain adequate systemic hydration, an essential part of treatment and in learning how to prevent mucormycosis and identifying how black fungal disease spreads.
- Surgical Debridement – Surgical debridement is a step in the black fungal infection treatment that consists of physically removing certain diseased tissue in order to control the black fungal disease spread. There may be extensive or minimal removal of necrotic material (dead cells) depending on the disease progression and how fast the mucormycosis is spreading. Depending on the black fungus mucormycosis spread throughout the body, the worst hit areas might be removed.
- Antifungal Therapy – The patient will be prescribed antifungal therapy for at least 4 to 6 weeks in order to control the spread of mucormycosis. If their condition worsens, a central catheter may be installed.
- Accounting for Diabetic Ketoacidosis – Patients with diabetes, specifically diabetic ketoacidosis, need to be treated specially as the excess acidity in the blood creates a predisposition towards contracting fungal infections. Mucormycosis might strongly affect those who already have uncontrolled diabetes mellitus and thus, must be controlled for during mucormycosis COVID prevention.
- Weaning Steroid Intake – Black fungus infection in COVID patients has been traced to certain treatment medication that contains steroids. Thus, to begin black fungal infection treatment, the first step would include immediately reducing their steroid intake and gradually decreasing the amount ingested until they can be weaned off of it. This will help control the fungal infection and aided by antifungal therapy, it should fight mucormycosis.
To stay safe, several precautionary steps can be followed during mucormycosis COVID prevention, such as:
- Don’t miss warning signs and symptoms such as fever, headaches, blurred vision, bloody or blackish mucus, and vomiting.
- Do not hesitate to investigate the cause of your symptoms vigorously by using appropriate testing such as KOH staining and microscopy. In case of a fungal infection, time spent delaying testing will only heighten its effect, resulting in the loss of precious treatment time.
- Use steroids judiciously and under careful medical guidance.
- Control hyperglycaemia and diabetic issues.
- Use clean water for humidifiers in oxygen therapy to avoid the diffusion of unwanted bacteria and the possibility of fungal spores.
- Educate yourself on what a black fungal infection is in order to avoid missing the warning signs.
Now that you know the answer to the questions ‘what is black fungal infection’ and ‘how does black fungal disease spread’, in case of any mucormycosis COVID symptoms, contact your local hospital in Udaipur immediately for assistance and guidance. One such option to treat mucormycosis and start black fungal infection treatment is Paras Hospitals in Udaipur, click here to learn more and view contact information.
Follow Us on Instagram