The people who take diets rich in vitamin C , vitamin E , beta – carotene , flavonoids , magnesium , selenium and omega -3 fatty acids have lower rates of asthma. Many of these substances are antioxidants which protect lung cells from damage. People who don’t have enough fruits and foods with vitamin C and vitamin E and omega – 3 fatty acids have a poor lung function.
So, the diet in asthma should be rich in vitamin D such as milk and eggs.
The diet of asthma should have beta carotene –rich vegetables such as carrots and leafy greens.
The diet should have magnesium rich foods such as spinach and pumpkin seeds .
- Vitamin D:- the sufficient amount of vitamin D in the diet may help in reducing the number of asthma attacks in children aged 6 to 15.The sources of vitamin D include :- salmon, milk and fortified milk, fortified orange juice and eggs
- Vitamin A:- the children with asthma have lower levels of vitamin A in their blood than the children without asthma. Good sources of vitamin A are carrots , sweet potatoes, leafy greens such as spinach, kale and broccoli
- Apples:- eating an apple a day keeps asthma away. The consumption of Apple lowers the risk of asthma and increases the lung function
- Bananas;- bananas might decrease wheezing in children with asthma. This may be due to the fruit antioxidant and potassium content which may improve lung function
- Magnesium:- the low magnesium levels also had low lung flow and volume . We can improve magnesium levels by eating magnesium rich food such as:- spinach , pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate , and salmon
Inhaling magnesium is also another good way to treat asthma attacks .