Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy or gastric sleeve is a relatively new weight loss procedure that reduces the size of the stomach from a sac to a narrow tube. In one of these operations, the vertical banded gastroplasty also called as ‘Obesity Surgery’ was abandoned due to poor long-term outcomes.
Metabolic bypass surgery is a very effective weight loss surgery procedure. This procedure combines two weight loss mechanisms.
The metabolic bypass has been around for more than 20 years and is considered the ‘Gold Standard’ of weight loss surgery. It’s considered the ‘Gold Standard’ because it’s the most researched of all procedures, it has excellent results and a low-risk profile.
Some other procedures that also include Obesity surgery
- This procedure is relatively new and typically not under insurance. However, it does have few strong proponents.
- It claims to have fewer complications, shorter operating times, and weight loss similar to metabolic bypass.
- It is better than RYGB in term of control diabetes.
Banded Sleeve Gastrectomy
- This procedure had few proponents about 5 years ago.
- However, there wasn’t much data to support develop long-term weight loss by adding a band to a sleeve gastrectomy.
- A few common but very effective procedure for weight loss surgery.
- It is often covered by insurance.
- Not suitable for the Indian population.