OSA or Obstructive Sleep Apnea means cessation of breathing during sleep caused by Obstruction to airways. This is always accompanied with snoring as a rule.
In children, this generally is caused by enlarged tonsils & adenoids.
When to Suspect:-
- *In case of snoring & mouth breathing
- *Failure to gain weight or Obesity
- *Falling grades in school
- *Drooling of saliva during sleep
- *Restless Sleep
- *Protrusion of Teeth
- *In drawing of chin
- *Hyperactivity in Behavior
What Happens If You Ignore Paediatric OSA
- *Growth Failure –Mental & Physical
- *Cardiovascular + Neurological Problems
- *Seizure Disorders
- *Facial Anomalies
1 Medical Management: – Steroid Sprays. This can’t be used for long duration and its a Temporary Relief.
2 Appliances :- CPAP-Poor compliance in children.
3 Surgery :- Removal of Adenoids and Excess Tonsillar Tissue- Coblation.
This has a benefit of
- Permanent Solution
- Blood Less almost painless
- With no side effects