India has become a leading country in case of fatalities due to most road traffic accidents in world.
Road Safety is now prime national concern due to its magnitude & gravity and the consequent negative impact on public health & economy. Road traffic fatalities result in deaths ,disabilities and hospitalizations with severe socio-economic costs . Drinking Driving has become a serious public health problem. The alcohol has become a serious concern in road safety. One should never mix alcohol with driving , but still many people love to do it for fun and end up in mishaps. A drunk driver is equivalent to a potential murderer as he cannot perform his tasks. Also he endangers the lives of people on the road. Drunken driving has become recognized world menace. According to statistics around 40% of road traffic accident occur under influence of alcohol. The accident risk increases significantly when blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is 0.04g/100ml. Some 4,80,000 deaths & 200 lakhs of people get injured by drunk driving.
The United Nations has rightly proclaimed 2010-2020 as the decade of the Action on Road safety so that the current trend of road traffic accidents stabilizes and is reversed by year 2020.
Facts about Alcohol:
- It is a depressant drug that kills brain cells hence slows the activity of brain.
- The claim about alcohol acting as a tension reliever is false . It does not help either to relieve tension or induce sleep and neither solves problems.
- 31% of fatal road traffic accidents are under the influence of alcohol.
- Alcohol makes doctors very difficult to assess the severity of injury. Also due to alcohol the recovery process of the human body is also hindered. This is because it affects the circulatory & the immune system. It also causes anesthesia delay and affects the response of various medications, there by complicating various surgeries and their result.
- Does it “Inhibit” Sex – There are lot of studies , however the best way to describe the analysis is in Shakespeare’s words- ‘Provokes the desire but takes away the performance’.
Conclusively , if you are planning to drink , please don’t drive ,let your driver drive you to home. Take a Cab .Stay at a friend’s house till morning and then drive home. Just make arrangements before you go and you should always have this on your mind- There is somebody waiting for you at home!