Dr Narendra Kumar is European Board Certified Cardiac electrophysiologist (ECES) with his doctorate thesis in cardiology on Atrial fibrillation ablation from Maastricht University Medical Centre, Netherlands (ranked among top 50 clinical university of world) . He is also a program chair for an International cardiology program. His primary interest lies in atrial fibrillation, arrhythmia management, Heart failure and cardiovascular economics. He has extensive experience with above 2500 ablation procedures and devices implantation (CRT, AICD, Wireless pacemaker and Complex pacemakers) with more than 50 publications (and above 250 citations) in reputed journals including JACC and Heart rhythm journal. He has over 12 years of experience in Cardiology. He was awarded “NRI of the year award” 2018 for academics by Times group. He is the only south Asian to have received American Heart rhythm Society scholarship 2018 for advance heart arrhythmia training at St Luke’s medical center, USA. He was trained earlier at some of the best hospitals across USA, UK, Germany and Netherlands. He is first Indian physician to have passed level 2 of European board certification in field of heart arrhythmias. He is taking care of speciality of cardiac electrophysiology across Paras Hospital branches at Gurgaon, Patna and Darbhanga. He did first complex 3D Ablation of Bihar and Jharkhand state. He also did first paediatric EP ablation of the state.
- Maastrict University Medical Centre,Netherlands.
- Harvard Medical School Boston,USA.
- Narayana Hurdrayalaya Bangalore.
- St.George Asklepios,Hamburg,Germany.
- Arrhythmia Therapies
- Cardiac Ablation
- Preventive Cardiology
- Atrial fibribulation management & Heart Failure.
Professional Memberships and Fellowships
- Herzzihtum University ,Germany.
- Member of Canadian Society of Echocardiography.
- Fellow of American College of Cardiology
- Fellow of European Society of Cardiology.
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians, Edinburg UK (FRCP)
- Fellow of European Society of Cardiology (FESC)
- Fellow of American College of Cardiology (FACC)
Research and Publications
- Oral abstract presentation N. Kumar, L. Pison, M. La Meir, J. Maessen, H.J. Crijns “Hybrid approach to atrial fibrillation ablation using cryoballoon endocardially and bipolar RF clamp epicardially” at 63rd annual conference of Cardiological Society of India, Mumbai- 2011
- Majority of atrial fibrillation patient feel headache during cryoballoon ablation. L. Pison , P. Peeters , Y. Blaauw , K. Vernooy , N. Kumar , S. Philippens , H. Crijns , J. Vlaeyen , J. Schoenen , C. Timmermans . 9th Annual Scientific Congress of the European Cardiac Arrhythmia Society- ECAS Paris, 2013.
- Safety and feasibility of adenosine administration during hybrid atrial fibrillation ablation to test dormant pulmonary vein conduction. L.A.F.G. Pison, N. Kumar, Y. Blaauw, K. Vernooy, J. Maessen, H.J. Crijns, M. La Meir. Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, Netherlands at 18th World Congress, Canada. 2013.
- Delivered a guest lecture on “India-past, present and future; an insight ” on invitation by director of MBA program of Maastricht University for the Executive MBA batch with average age of 38 years and average work experience of 15 years; the only other speaker being Prof. Frits Van Merode former dean of FHML of university.
- Adenosine testing after endoscopic ablation system (EAS) pulmonary vein ablation for atrial fibrillation. N. Kumar, Y. Blaauw, C. Timmermans, L. Pison, R.T. Bekke, K. Vernooy, J. Maessen, H.J. Crijns. Venice arrhythmias, Venice. 2013
- Safety and Feasibility of Use of Contact Force Catheter during Hybrid Procedure for Atrial Fibrillation Ablation. N. Kumar, L. Pison, M. La Meir, J. Maessen, H.J. Crijns. At ISMICS, Boston. 2014.
- Chaired a session during TM’s 4th World Cardiovascular Online Conference during session 9 on “Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Diseases” and presented “Impact of hybrid procedure for atrial fibrillation ablation on P-wave duration and its association with other pre-operative data.” N. Kumar, L. Pison, M. La Meir, J. Maessen, H.J. Crijns. 2014.
- Presented & won best abstract award “Adenosine Testing after Atrial Fibrillation Ablation is a Good Advice” at IAACON, Ranchi (India) 2016.
- Kumar, N., Pison, L., la Meir, M., & Maessen, J. Direct visualization of pulmonary vein stenosis after previous catheter ablation. Heart Rhythm, DOI:10.1016/j.hrthm.2013.10.052. [Impact Factor (IF) =5.1]
- Kumar N, Pison L, La Meir M, Maessen J. Atraumatic lung hernia: A rare complication of minimally invasive surgical atrial fibrillation ablation. Journal of Atrial Fibrillation. 2013;6:3
- Kumar, N., Pison, L., La Meir, M., Maessen, J., & Crijns, H. J. Testing Of Box Lesion By Adenosine. Journal of Atrial Fibrillation. 12/2013; 6(4).
- Kumar N, Timmermans C, Pison L, Crijns H. Hemoptysis: Deja vu for cryoballoon use for pulmonary vein isolation for atrial fibrillation ablation. Chest. 2014;145:1435 [IF =7.1]
- Kumar N, Timmermans C, Das M, Pison L, Maessen J, Crijns H. Re: Ct imaging of complications of catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation. Clinical Radiology. 2014;69:e367-368 [IF =2.2]
- Kumar N, Pison L, La Meir M, Maessen J, Crijns HJ. Hybrid approach to atrial fibrillation ablation using bipolar radiofrequency devices epicardially and cryoballoon endocardially.Interact CardioVasc Thorac Surg(2014) 19 (4): 590-594.doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivu189 [IF =1.4]
- Kumar N, Blaauw Y, Timmermans C, Pison L, Vernooy K, Crijns H. Adenosine testing after second-generation balloon devices (cryothermal and laser) mediated pulmonary vein ablation for atrial fibrillation. Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology. 2014;41:91-97 [IF =1.7]
- Kumar N, Phan K, Aksoy I, Pison L, Timmermans C, Maessen J, Crijns H. Management of pulmonary vein stenosis following catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. Journal of Atrial Fibrillation. 08/2014;7:1
- Kumar, N., Phan, K., Pison, L., & Maessen, J. (2014). Re: Clinical characteristics and prognostic significance of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in patients with atrial fibrillation: results from a multicenter atrial fibrillation registry study. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, doi:10.1016/j.jamda.2014.08.015. [IF=6.6]
- Kumar, N., Timmermans, C., Pison, L., & Crijns, H. (2014). Hemoptysis After Cryoablation for Atrial Fibrillation Truth or Just a Myth? Chest. 2014;146(5):e173-e175. doi:10.1378/chest.14-1600. [IF=7.1]
- Kumar, N., Phan, K., Timmermans, C., Pison, L., Meir, M. L., Maessen, J., et al. (2014). Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation: The missing links. Eur Heart J. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehu291 [IF = 16]
- Phan K, Xie A, Tsai Y-C, Kumar N, La Meir M, Yan TD. Biatrial ablation vs. left atrial concomitant surgical ablation for treatment of atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis. DOI: 10.1093/europace/euu220. [IF=4.2]
- Phan, K., Xie, A., Kumar, N., Wong, S., Medi, C., La Meir, M.,Yan, T.D. Comparing energy sources for surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation: A Bayesian network meta- analysis of randomized controlled trials. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014 Nov 12. DOI:10.1093/ejcts/ezu408: ezu408. [IF=2.8]
- Kumar, N., Aksoy I, Phan, K.,Wainer, J., Timmermans, C. “Coronary spasm during cardiac electrophysiological study following isoproterenol infusion” for Interventional Medicine & Applied Science. 6 (4), 183–186, doi:10.1556/IMAS.6.2014.4.7.
- Pison, L. Peeters, P. Blauw, Y. Vernooy, K. Kumar, N. Philippens, S. Crijns, H. J. Jean S. J. Timmermans. C. Headache during Balloon Cryoablation for Atrial Fibrillation. doi:10.1093/europace/euu321 [IF=4.2]
- Bonizzi, P. Kumar, N. Zeemering, S. LM. Peeters, R. Pison, L. A Novel P-wave Modeling Method to Assess P-wave Duration Impact After Hybrid Procedure for Atrial Fibrillation Ablation. Conference: Computing in Cardiology 2014. DOI: 10.13140/2.1.4089.8882
- Kumar, N. Dinh, T. Phan, K. Timmermans, C. Das, M. Dassen, W. Phillippens, S. Maessen, J. Crijns, H. Adenosine Testing after Second generation Cryoballoon Ablation (ATSCA) study improves clinical success rate for atrial fibrillation. Europace; 10.1093/europace/euu352 2015 [IF=4.2]
- Kumar, N. Bonizzi, P. Mafi Rad, M. Lankveld, T. “Editorial – Left atrial dyssynchrony time measured by tissue Doppler imaging to predict atrial fibrillation recurrences after pulmonary vein isolation: Is this a mirage or the panacea?” Anadolu kardiyoloji dergisi: AKD = the Anatolian journal of cardiology 2015; 15:123-124 [IF=0.8]
- Kumar, N., Pietro, B., Pison, L. , Phan, K., Lankveld, T., Meir, Mark La.,Maesen, B. Sandro, G., Maessen, J., Crijns, H. Impact of hybrid procedure on P wave duration for atrial fibrillation ablation. Journal of interventional cardiac electrophysiology. 2015. DOI: 10.1007/s10840-014-9969-9 [IF=1.7]
- Phan K, Wang N, Pison L, Kumar N, Hitos K, Thomas SP: Rivaroxaban versus warfarin or dabigatran in patients undergoing catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis. International journal of cardiology Int J Cardiol. 2015 Apr 15;185:209-13.DOI: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2015.03.102 [IF=4.7]
- Kumar N, Dinh T, Magdi Abbas M, Phan K, Manusama R, Philippens S, Maessen J, Timmermans C. Failure to reach the optimal temperature during cryoablation due to refrigerant cylinder problem. Research in cardiovascular medicine 2015;4(1):e25592-e25592. [IF=0.1]
- Phan K, Wang N, Pison L, Kumar N, Hitos K, Thomas SP: Meta-analysis of dabigatran vs warfarin in patients undergoing catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation. International journal of cardiology 04/2015; DOI:10.1016/j.ijcard.2015.04.072 [IF=4.7]
- Kumar, N., Pison, L., La Meir, M., Maessen, J., Crijns, H. Pulmonary vein stenosis after laser balloon ablation for atrial fibrillation. Journal of American college of Cardiology: clinical electrophysiology. DOI:10.1016/j.jacep.2015.04.001 [IF=15.4]
- Auricchio A, Schloss EJ, Kurita T, Meijer A, Gerritse B, Zweibel S, AlSmadi FM, Leng CT, Sterns LD , PainFree SST Investigators-Kumar N . Low inappropriate shock rates in patients with single- and dual/triple-chamber implantable cardioverter-defibrillators using a novel suite of detection algorithms: PainFree SST trial primary results.Heart Rhythm 2015;12(5):926-36 [IF=5.1]
- Kumar, N. Abbas, M. M. Ter Bekke, R. M. de Jong, C. M. Choudhury, R. Bisht, O. Philippens, S. Timmermans, C. Maastricht experience with the second generation endoscopic laser balloon ablation system for the atrial fibrillation treatment. Netherlands heart journal. DOI: 10.1007/s12471-015-0703-8 [IF= 2.2]
- Kumar, N., Lozekoot, P. The Acute effects of Adenosine Administration After Visually Guided Laser Balloon Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation Treatment and Follow-up. Europace. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/europace/euv196 [IF= 4.2]
- Kumar, N., L. Pison, P. Lozekoot, R. Choudhury, M. La Meir, S. Gelsomino, H. Crijns, and J. Maessen. “The symbiosis of contact force catheter use for hybrid ablation for atrial fibrillation.” Netherlands Heart Journal 23, no. 9 (2015): 438-446. [IF= 2.2]
- Ha HS, Wang N, Wong S, Phan S, Liao J, Kumar N, Qian P, Yan TD, Phan K. Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy patients: a systematic review. Journal of interventional cardiac electrophysiology. 2015. DOI: 10.1007/s10840-015-0047-8 [IF= 1.7]
- Gelsomino S, La Meir M, Van Breugel HN, Renzulli A, Rostagno C, Lorusso R, Parise O, Lozekoot PW, Klop ID, Kumar N, Luca F, Matteucci F, Serraino F, Sante P, Caciolli S, Vizzardi E, De Jong M, Crijns HJ, Gensini GF, Maessen JG. Surgical ablation in patients undergoing mitral valve surgery: impact of lesion set and surgical techniques on long-term success. Europace. DOI euv402 [IF= 4.2]
- Gelsomino S, Lozekoot PW, Lorusso R, de Jong MJ, Parise O, Matteucci F, Luca F, Kumar N, Romano M, Gensini GF, La Meir M, Maessen JG. The Optimal Weaning Strategy for Intraaortic Balloon Counterpulsation: Volume-Based Versus Rate-Based Approach in an Animal Model. Ann Thorac Surg 2015.DOI 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2015.10.010. [IF= 3.9]
- Lozekoot PW, de Jong MM, Gelsomino S, Parise O, Matteucci F, Luca F, Kumar N, Nijs J, Czapla J, Kwant P, Bani D, Gensini GF, Pison L, Crijns HJ, Maessen JG, La Meir M. Contact forces during hybrid atrial fibrillation ablation: an in vitro evaluation. J Interv Card Electrophysiol 2016. [IF= 1.7]
- Gelsomino S, Lozekoot PW, Lorusso R, de Jong MM, Parise O, Matteucci F, Luca F, Kumar N, Dehkord ES, Romano SM, Gensini GF, La Meir M, Maessen JG. A New 35-mm Short Intra-aortic Balloon Catheter: A Suitable Option Also for Non-Small-Sized Patients? Innovations (Philadelphia, Pa). 2016 Feb 19. PubMed PMID: 26901748. Epub 2016/02/24.
- Van Breugel HN, Parise O, Nieman FH, Accord RE, Luca F, Lozekoot P, Kumar N, van Mastrigt GA, Nijs JF, Vrakking R, Maessen JG, La Meir M, Gelsomino S. Does sinus rhythm conversion after cardiac surgery affect postoperative health- related quality of life? Journal of cardiothoracic surgery. 2016;11(1):75. [IF= 1.03]
- Gelsomino S, Lozekoot PW, Lorusso R, de Jong MM, Parise O, Matteucci F, Luca F, Kumar N, Dehkord ES, Romano SM, Gensini GF, La Meir M, Maessen JG. A New 35-mm Short Intra-aortic Balloon Catheter: A Suitable Option Also for Non-Small-Sized Patients? Innovations (Philadelphia, Pa). 2016;11(1):46-53.
- Lozekoot PW, de Jong MM, Parise O, Matteucci F, Luca F, Kumar N, et al. The ABLA-BOX: An In Vitro Module of Hybrid Atrial Fibrillation Ablation. Innovations (Philadelphia, Pa). 2016 Jun 27. PubMed PMID: 27355130. Epub 2016/06/30. Eng. Innovations (Philadelphia, Pa). 2016 Jun 27.
- ise, i Kumar, N., Pison L, Gelsomino S, et al. We Know What the Cardiac Surgeon Did During Last Hybrid Arrhythmia Procedure. Innovations (Philadelphia, Pa) 2017;12(1):67-70. doi: 10.1097/imi.0000000000000343
- Wang, Nelson; Phan, Steven; Kanagaratnam, Aran; Kumar, N.; Phan, Kevin Adenosine Testing after Atrial Fibrillation Ablation: Systematic review and meta-analysis. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2017.04.020 [IF = 2.1]
- Kumar, N. The surgical atrial fibrillation ablation with concomitant coronary artery bypass grafting on the testing grounds of cost and 1-year mortality. Ann Transl Med 2017. doi: 10.21037/atm.2017.06.68
- Kumar, N. M3 India Expert Review series: Highlighting recent research in Cardiology. https://www.m3india.in/contents/editor_pick/45685/m3-india-expert-review-series-highlighting-recent. August 2017
- Kumar, N Spotlight Interview: Paras HMRI Hospital. https://www.eplabdigest.com/articles/Spotlight-Interview-Paras-HMRI-Hospital. Volume 17 – Issue 11 – November 2017
- Arunachalam, K., Lakshmanan, S., Maan, A., Kumar, N., & Dominic, P. (2018). Impact of Drug Induced Long QT Syndrome: A Systematic Review. Journal of Clinical Medicine Research, 10(5), 384-390.
|Dr. Narendra Kumar|
Consultant Cardiologist & Electrophysiologist
|10:00 am to 04:00 pm||Mon to Fri|