Internal bleeding happens to be the most serious result of a trauma. Generally, the bleeding happens due to obvious injuries which may need immediate medical attention. Internal bleeding can also take place post a less serious trauma or be delayed by some hours or some days. Some internal bleeding because of trauma can stop by itself; however, if it continues and is critical, then surgeries are needed.
Reasons For Internal Bleeding Caused Due To Trauma:
Internal bleeding can happen to post any major physical injury. There are 2 important kinds of trauma and either of them can lead to internal bleeding:
- Blunt Trauma– This trauma takes place when a part of body collides with something else, generally at a high pace. Blood vessels of the body get crushed or torn due to a blunt object or sheer force. i.e. car accidents fall physical assaults.
- Penetrating Trauma– This takes place when some foreign object has penetrated the body, tearing a hole in 1 or more blood vessels. i.e. gunshot wounds, falling on a sharp object, stabbings, etc.
Body organs or the blood vessels may be damaged from trauma & result in internal bleeding. Most serious sources of internal bleeding because of trauma are:-
- Head trauma along with internal bleeding. This is also known as intracranial hemorrhage
- Hemothorax or bleeding around lungs.
- Bleeding around heart
- Tearing of large blood vessels around the center of the body such as the aorta.
- Damage resulted from trauma to abdomen like liver or perforation of some other organ.
Symptoms of internal bleeding due to trauma:
- Abdominal pain or swelling lead by trauma to liver or spleen. Such symptoms get worse with the continuation of bleeding.
- Dizziness, light-headedness or fainting could be a result of loss of enough blood.
- A major area of deep purple sin known as ecchymosis could be a result of bleeding into soft tissues or skin.
- Tightness, swelling, and pain in legs can also be a result of internal bleeding in thighs. Very often this happens due to fracture off thighbone.
- Loss of consciousness or a headache can be a result of Internal bleeding in the brain.